Monday, November 28, 2016

Instant Pot pressure cookers on deep sale today

I've written twice before about the Instant Pot, an electronic pressure cooker that helps make healthy food in a time-efficient manner (1, 2).  At some point, I'll write another review of my Instant Pot, but the gist is that it still works flawlessly and looks sharp after more than four years of frequent use.  Here are a few of the reasons why I like it so much:
  • It increases my efficiency in the kitchen, especially with beans, beets, artichokes, and bone broth.  It's automatic, so you can do something else while it works.
  • It's durable.  The inner pot is stainless steel without a nonstick liner, and the gaskets are silicone.  The whole thing has a solid, quality feel.
  • It replaces multiple bulky kitchen items.  It isn't just a pressure cooker, but also a steamer, slow cooker, and rice maker.  The latest version is also a yogurt maker.
Today only, Amazon is offering the Instant Pot on deep discount.  If you're considering getting one, today is the day.  The older version (LUX50) is only $49, and the newer version (DUO60) is only $69.  That's an incredible value for what this thing does.  

If you purchase through the following links, you'll be benefiting my work at no additional cost to yourself:



6 comments:

RLL said...

Amazon is showing the price as $130.

Stephan Guyenet said...

Yes, the sale was on Nov 28!

Jeff D said...

After discovering seeing these were on sale via your blog I quickly researched two things: pressure-cooker chicken stock and pressure-cooked potatoes. Seemed legit for my interests so I ordered...
I made steel-cut oats this morning. 3 minutes? What? And they tasted better with quicker cleanup than my stovetop variety. I'm sold in this thing already. Thanks!

Stephan Guyenet said...

Thanks Jeff, glad you like it. Mine is totally indispensable at this point. I use it a lot for chickpeas.

CC said...

Aw geez - hope this is not a duplicate, but it seemed like I was kicked out after hitting publish.

I was about ready to move from stove top to slow cooker for bone broth. I understand that broth should not be vigorously boiled to ensure gelling (around 190 - 200 degrees). Would pressure cooking create higher temps? If so, does the slow cooker setting permit you to select a temp, or is it just low-high settings?

Also, per Nourishing Traditions, it's crucial to skim the scum when initially bringing the broth to a simmer, which I think you couldn't do with the Instant Pot. Do you do this step separately, or do you skip it and live dangerously?

Thanks so much for your blog. I appreciate your reasoned analyses. If I decide to get the pot, I'll use your links. I'll go for the 8 qt - I like big batches ; )

Stephan Guyenet said...

Hi CC,

I'm not familiar with the temperature issue you brought up, but I will note that some professional chefs make bone broth in pressure cookers.

I don't worry about the scum. I don't see the point of skimming it. I've heard of that for beans but never for broth. I used to skim the scum on my beans but now I don't do that either. It goes away as you keep cooking and doesn't seem to affect anything.

I'm all about efficiency in the kitchen, so any extra step I can leave out is gone.